I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wisdom beyond her years

Yesterday during school my kids and I were talking about college. The previous evening their Dad was telling them about some awards that I had won in highschool for singing and that I was invited to try out at a college with a prestigous jazz group.

The kids were asking me why I didn't go. I shared with them that at the time I was not confident in my ability to make the group and was not sure how I would pay for college. I didn't believe that I necessarily needed college and so because of my nervousness decided not to try out.

My eight year old looked up at me and said:

"Mom, sometimes you just need to jump in without your floaties."

After a good laugh that counted as cardio for the day, I told her that she is right, sometimes we do. But I also told them that I am glad that I didn't go. I met their dad a year later and got married. I was blessed to have them and honestly, no college experience could bring me more joy and satisfaction than raising these neat people that I have been given.

I will try to remember, however, that sometimes I need to jump in without my floaties. That's one perceptive eight year old I have.

No comments: