I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Fridays are for fun

Don't you think that sounds good? Fridays and fun? I have declared that Fridays will still be schoolish but they will look different than other school days. I went to the library yesterday and found some great things to try to see how the kids like them. It seems that Fridays would be a good elective day. After four days of math, phonics, spelling, writing, etc, everyone seems ready for something different. We try to do something fun each day but by Day 5 everyone seems to be ready for a break. Who wants to sit around and do workbooks every day, all day?

Today is Friday and the kids watched a sign language DVD. There was no shortage of signing going on after that. We also picked up a DVD drawing program that a couple of the kids are really excited about. We have one in particular that is an artist in the making. The kids and I compiled a list of field trips at the beginning of the year and I plan to get some of those on the schedule. I think that having some things on the calendar will be good the kids to look forward to. Rewards along the way as we complete the core subjects. During quiet time the older ones are reading about their country of choice. That project has made for some interesting conversations.

After lunch, Em seemed a little concerned as she told me that we didn't do school today. I told her that yes we did, it just looked different. She still learned something and after we talked about it she liked the idea. Last Friday we did a nature walk and that was a hit. I read to the kids as we walked and they observed. Then we came back and they chose a bug, bird or plant to draw and then write about. I was impressed with what they came up with.

So Fridays will look a little different. I am liking home educating more and more as time goes on. It is definitely a process and I will need to be flexible as the needs of the kids change but I am defeinitely seeing the benefits every day.

Oh and while the kids watched the DVD? Yeah, they snapped green beans between signing. I am all about multi-tasking. Teaching life skills is an important part of school and is very high on my priority list of goals for my kids. You've heard the saying that goes something like this "Give a man a fish and he will eat today. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."

So today?
Reading? Check. Writing? Check. Sign language? Check. 7 more quarts of healthy green beans put up? Check. A well rounded education? Check.

No comments: