I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Swimming

I finally started swimming. My friend next door has invited me several times and I finally took her up on it. Sounds like a benign, good thing to do, right? The kicker? It's at 5:30 each morning in order to be back in time for our husbands to go to work. Holy moly! That's early. Really early for this nightowl. So early, in fact, that even the sun, the roosters and the rif raf are not up yet. Seriously early. Dark early. Pretty sure that some people are just going to bed, early. Having someone to go with however means that I have accountability. Knowing that someone is going to be outside waiting for me to come along, means that I now have the motivation that I need to get going.

I have joined her two times so far and I think I actually might be hooked. As hard as it is to roll my lazy body out of bed that early, the payoff is fantastic. I feel great when I get back and my day starts much earlier and quieter. It's easy on my body, which is high mileage due to giving birth to four babies and having one miscarriage in five years time. Not to mention the fact that I really don't enjoy being hot at all. For me, hot is warmer than 75 degrees. I think about exercise and I get hot so I have to stop thinking about it. Being in the water is genius really.

Swimming is a great option for me. Thanks Brooke!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that makes me jealous. I seriously LOVE to swim. I was on the swim team when I was in school, but rarely have the opportunity to swim anymore. However, I don't know if I would get up as early as you are to do it. I'm impressed! You go, girl!

junglemama said...

Swimming is awesome! I wish I coud do it more.