I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Making affordable meals and a recipe you can use for the Superbowl.

Now, more than ever, finding a way to make meals affordable is important. Just last week I took 6 pounds of hamburger from the freezer. We purchased a beef and paid $2.29 per pound. Then with other supplies totalling just over $4, I made 2 meatloaves and 58 meatballs. In total there was approximately 20 servings made for the $18.00 including sauces for the meatballs. That makes it $.90/serving. Add some rice and a salad or veggies and you have a nice meal for over $1 per person. I will be honest and tell you that I make my own cream of mushroom soup that I used for one of the sauces and it saves us a lot.

The recipe that we use is like no other. I have tried meatloaf seasonings pre-made in the store and oh my, I can't stomach the stuff. This recipe, however, works for both meatballs and meatloaf and we can't get enough. These meatballs in the homemade BBQ sauce are excellent for Superbowl Sunday or a potluck. When they are finished cooking you can throw them in a crockpot to keep them warm and head out to the party or potluck. Thank you Aunt Cheryle. With her permission, here is the recupe for the meatballs and one of the sauces we use.

I double this recipe and make meatloaf with it as well:

3lb lean hamburger 12oz. evaporated milk
1 cup oatmeal 1 cup smashed crackers
2 eggs 1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp garlic 1 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder 1/2 tsp pepper

Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Make into golf size balls (our kids are great at this). We freeze them on freezer paper and then package them up with our foodsaver.

When you take the meatballs out, place them in pan. Cook in oven heated to 350 degrees with sauce for 30 minutes if thawed, 45-60 minutes if frozen. The cooking times are close to the same if you make meatloaves out of it.

BBQ Sauce
2 cups ketchup 1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp liquid smoke 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup finely chopped onion

Stir all ingredients together until sugar is dissolved.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't liquid smoke the most awesome stuff?!