I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Kicking breakfast up a notch plus a new snack.

Breakfast is becoming a little hum drum around here. No one is unhappy. I am just bored making the same thing over and over again. It usually involves some form of eggs and in light of my recent health issues including high cholesterol it seems that a few days per week we should lay off the eggs.


This morning we had oatmeal with yogurt on top. Most of the kids liked it. The ones who didn't just didn't care for the multi-berry yogurt flavor. I will remedy that soon as we will be making our own yogurt in the very near future. How cool are we?

I made the oatmeal with a little bit of butter, added ground flaxseed for heart health and then topped it with yogurt. Healthy and decent tasting. Let me tell you, that means a lot coming from someone who can't stand oatmeal.

Sunday I was in the mood to make something new for a late afternoon snack for my family. I came across a recipe here for soft pretzels and my on my were they a hit. We dipped them in ranch but you could use any dipping sauce that you would like or none at all. They were just as yummy plain too. Enjoy!

Soft Pretzels

4 1/2 c. flour

1 1/2 c. warm water

2 t. kosher salt

1 T. sugar

1 package yeast (2 1/4 t.)2 oz. melted butter

Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in a bowl or stand mixer and sprinkle yeast on top. Let sit 5 minutes until it begins to foam. Add flour and butter and knead 4-5 minutes. Oil a bowl and put dough in when done. Cover and let rise 45-55 minutes. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bring 10 c. water to a boil with 2/3 c. baking soda. Break off small amounts of dough and roll into a snake-like coil. It's easier to shape if the coil is thinner. Shape it into a pretzel form and place into boiling water for abut 30 seconds each. Remove and place on well greased baking sheets. Beat 1 egg mixed with 1 T. water and brush on the pretzels. Sprinkle kosher salt on and bake for 12-15 minutes. Keep an eye on them at the end so you can take them out when they are lightly golden brown.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh I'm going to have to try the pretzel recipe! I've been doing the oatmeal thing around here but no one's joining me.

You'll have to let us know how your home made yogurt turns out.

suzannah | the smitten word said...

i'm intrigued by the homemade pretzels! yummy:)