I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's messy but it's worth it.

This is the state of my kitchen these days. These big pots aren't the most prized decor out there but they are a necessary part of the landscape that is my kitchen this time of year. I alternate back and forth from water bath canner to pressure cooker.

The pressure cooker still freaks me out at times. The possibility of an explosion to the face or to my precious kitchen just about does me in at times. I have to remind myself that I am using it properly and then keep the doors blocked so stray children don't wander in there. It just seems prudent, doncha think?
All of this work is time consuming but the results are so worth it. We like no other pickles as much as the ones we make every year. I spent about $8 on the cucumber plants and so far have used $4 worth of lids for 23 1/2 quarts of pickles. Do you know how much that many quarts of pickles would cost me? At least $80. When all is said and done I hope to have at least 50 quarts for the next year giving me almost one jar per week. That would be over $200 for that many pickles and I may end up spending $20 - $25 total. I spend a total of about 18 - 20 hours pickling each year but when you look at how much is saved, how much we love them not to mention that I don't have to haul around any jars of pickles in my cart at the grocery store, it is totally worth it. And that's just for the pickles.

No comments: