I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

I did it!

I made cream of mushroom soup! My sister-in-law and I have been searching high and low for a recipe that a person could can. I finally hit the jackpot a few weeks ago and have just been waiting for mushrooms to go on sale. Finally, this week they did, for $1.49/lb. When all was said and done I was able to make 9 pints which is equal to 13.5 store bought cans. I can sometimes get the good stuff on a really good sale (the one that starts with a C and has the pop-top lids) for $.75/can. I was able to make ours for $.44/can and that makes me very happy. Less salt and additives plus I saved money. $5.94 in fact. It did help that I used turkey stock from an already cooked turkey that I had in the freezer. I do intend to that again, only with chicken instead. It's so nice to boil off chicken for one meal and then use the stock for great soups. I almost always have some sort of bone broth in the freezer.


The finished product came out darker than I was expecting but when mixed with milk it looked just like the store bought stuff. How cool is that? We may do a little tweaking of the recipe for next time but that goes with the canning territory. That's the beauty, you don't like something, well then fix what you don't like.

Now we wait for the mushrooms to go on sale again and we will have a soup making day. Hopefully, we will be able to put up what we will use for a year and save me the backache of yarding the cans around the store each time I go.

No comments: