I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Garage sales

I love them. Really I do. My neighbor and I joke that I am a frugal snob. Friday I took the kids out junkin' with me. Junkin' is a new term that I picked up from the same neighbor and I love it. The kids came home with yarn, a couple toys and an appreciation for things that cost less.

Then yesterday it was mine and my husband's anniversary. We went to a city wide garage sale just the two of us and found some great stuff. A great harvest basket for my garden, some tools for hubby and some great books for the kids. We rubbed shoulders with some old neighbors and chatted with others along the way. I think garage sales promote the feeling of community.

I believe that taking my kids out with me on occasion is a great lesson in finances for them. They see the value in finding things that are nice for much less. Toys, fabric, yarn, books, tools and clothing. All things we have found in the last 3 weeks and all for less than $40. Not too bad, eh?

No comments: