I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Motivated Monday - Stockpiling

Stockpiling is a hot topic right now. There have been some extreme couponers highlighted on TV but that's not the kind of stockpiling I am talking about. I am referring to a 2-3 month stockpile of things we use regularly.

(items on wood shelf total about $25 total after coupons and deals)
I like to have enough of certain items on hand to make a small store. There are several reasons for doing this. Life can be very unpredictable. Having a small stockpile of items that I have spent very little on helps during those times when there are unexpexted expenses or the added expense of the holidays. We just shop more from our small store that month and shift the food budget to more pressing items.


 (green beans and tomato sauce from our 2010 garden)


Another reason I love to have my stockpile is for illnesses. When one of us comes down with something the last thing I want to do is pack everyone up to go get supplies. The sick person appreciates this the most. It isn't pictured here but I also have a small stockpile of medicines, the last thing my budget needs is me running out to pay $6 for a fast acting fever reducer for the febrile seizure guy in our house. Not to mention by the time I got to the store it would be too late to give it to him.


In the picture above you can see my toiletry closet. As you can see I don't have a 100 year supply of deoderant. What I do have is enough body wash (almost free), toothpaste (free) and shampoo (virtually free) to last us a couple months. When we are getting low I look for really good deals to fill back in what we have used. Nothing kills a budget more than last minute dashes to the store for an item you have run out of. Not to mention how difficult it is to leave the store with only the item you went for. So, how do I build a stockpile without breaking the bank? I am so glad you asked. The main way I have done this is by making use of the register reward program at Walgreens, at least where toiletries and medicines are concerned. (See below for the websites I use for deals. I don't have the time to figure it all out myself.)


In this picture above I spent just over $10 but saved just over $58. For sure there are some items here that I wouldn't normally buy full price but for this little they are worth putting away. I generally am able to share with people in our extended family if there isn't something we will use. If I don't know someone who can use it then I won't get it. If you are interested in finding our more about saving check out the websites below that I read for seaking out deals. These gals post great deals for families and encourage integrity in couponing as well as debt free living so I recommend them.

I try to use websites that are written in my region. The deal match-ups are more accurate that way. These gals also encourage debt free living and that is very important to me. Purchasing great deals on credit kind of defeats the purpose of a good deal, don't you think? For more information on how to use coupons, find great deals and how to use register rewards at Walgreens:





No comments: