I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Parenting is hard

Can I be honest? Even when I know the right thing to do parenting is still hard. Allowing my kids to experience things they need to really bites. Sometimes I want to swoop in and take the hit but that's not always what is best. I can't be God in their lives; I can only point the way. (That may or may not include uncomfortable circumstances. For instance, I now have a very clean back deck.)

Just today I explained to two of my children that I can bring discipline but the change of heart is up to them. What they choose to learn from the discipline isn't up to me. I know what I would like them to take away from the lesson but in the end it's they who have to either accept or reject my correction.

Having a teachable spirit is easier said than done, even for us adults. One minute I am explaining the concept and the next I am living it out. Or not. Ouch.

Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. (Yikes!)Proverbs 12:1

No comments: