I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Works for me Wednesday: Organizing our school

I decided to take a different approach for the kids this year. With two sixth graders in the house this year, I wanted to start teaching some organization as well as the basics. I picked up these binders at a back to school sale and they were just $.75 each.

I bought a variety of stickers trying to hit on an area of interest for each of my kids. They look a little strange in the picture below but those are dinosaur eggs.


Inside the binders vary slightly for each one but some things are the same such as an assignment page, journal, beginning/end of year statistics sheet and book lists.

Organizing this way does several things. The most important one for all of us is that it allows the readers in our little school to start without me. They can look at their assignment sheet and start on their independent work while I work with youngers on their handwriting and math.

I can slip worksheets in for each day if needed and the younger two have weather graphs that they are working on in the front of the binder. Every day they get their binder out and it's the first thing they see.

We are more than a month in and it is still working!

1 comment:

In Everything said...

i like it!!!

we Are using work"files" and it's going great with my 2nd grader but my k and pre-k -ers are a little too young for the independence... but i like them b/c they keep me and their assignments organized!!

i like the binders for teaching them organizing and I'm sure there will be a time when they're not into the work"files" or we lack the space for them:)