I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Garden 2011

It's that time again. Time for freshly tilled dirt and newly planted seeds and plants.


Gardening can save a lot of money through out the year but starting up isn't free. I am determined to keep track of costs and yield this year to see how much it benefits us. 


So far we have spent $32 on soil and compost, $11.48 in seeds and $30 in plants for a total of $73.48.


We also have two fruit trees, an apple and a prune. I hope to find a food scale to use for weighing the produce we harvest this year.

We are all about the fancy around here. Yes, those are milk jugs covering my peppers. They like to be warm and here in the Pacific NW we have to help them out a little.


Those are our cucumber mounds up there. The pickling cucs like to vine out so hilling works really well. My guys worked really hard this weekend getting everything tilled, raked and staked out. I love it!


The strawberries are blooming, too. Ahh, the promise of summer.

Part of my mother's day gift was seeds for the salad garden. Love, love! We already have radishes and lettuce sprouting. I can't wait for fresh salad!

2 comments:

daughtersfather said...

One need to look no futher than this post to see the analogy that men are hunter/conquerors and women are forager/gatherers. (Of course you had the men doing the tilling for you). Now you can understand my passion for hunting. There is something primal to be found in the reward of eating that which you have harvested, be it salad or elk.

Chasing Pure Simplicity said...

Beauiful garden and beautiful family!