I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Maiden Voyage

Hmmm. First time out. What to write? Think, think, think. I feel like I am floating in the middle of a deep blue lake at dusk, water lapping on the side of the boat. Doesn't that sound nice? There is so much to say about what I see but where to start? There is so much beauty, lots of algae, it's sometimes chaotic and there are so many directions to view. How do I choose one thing that stands out? I started this blog as an outlet. You see, we have a busy house. A really busy house. Don't let me mislead you. It's fun and it has it's quiet moments, rare though they may be. But busy it is regardless of noise level. There is the husband that goes to work and provides so tirelessly for his family (ok so he gets tired a lot but he just keeps on going no matter what). There are the 2 giggly girls that go to school, the full of life twins that school at home and the mini speedboat we call our youngest son. He is an absolute delight leaving quite the wake behind him. Then there is me. Wife, mom, friend and whatever else the day calls for. Am I good at it? Some days I am great, highly qualified. Other days I wonder whose resume the manager had in his hands when he interviewed and hired me. I spend much of my thought life hoping and praying that somehow a balance is created out of those two vastly different sides of myself. I have realized recently that after much deliberation and effort on my part to create the balance myself that I have been going at it all wrong. It's not my ability. It's God who takes all that I am, no matter how contradictory, and it's Him in me that gives me balance. Oh how I have spent countless wasted hours trying to do it myself. So here is a reminder to myself today. It's Christ who strengthens me.

What a relief. My shoulders get so tired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It IS all about the journey. Balance is such an interesting thing. In order to ride a bicycle one needs balance side to side to keep from falling over....yet that balance is achieved by a sucession of imbalances. First one foot pushing down, then the other. The pendelum always swings from side to side, never really stopping in the middle, yet keeping perfect time. When hanging pictures on the wall, I hear that creative people look for balance. I keep trying to achieve that with symmetry. How boring! [I am told]