I am wife to a magnificent man and mother to five wonderful children. Three of my children were born in the Northwest and two were born thousands of miles away in Liberia, West Africa. Birthplace is no matter, all of my children were born in my heart. This is our journey.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Groceries

We need them. I'm sure that I could come up with some delicacy made of peanut butter and water chestnuts but I am pretty sure that my family would stage a coup. There really is more than that in the pantry but it's really several parts of meals rather than one complete one. Purchasing groceries for our house is a major event every two weeks. Well major for me. I travel to a large grocery store 25 miles away, list in hand, mission in mind and most likely showing on my face. It really is worth the savings to go there but the time it takes adds up for sure. It 's serious business. I know there are larger families out there than mine that require more carts than ours does. However, this particular week it feels like I am being asked to paint the house, give my van an oil change and scrub the front sidewalk with a toothbrush, all before sunset. I usually enjoy grocery shopping. All of the possibilities of food combinations, looking for bargains, feeling alone in a crowd. Things I live for. Not to mention the physical benefits of grocery shopping. Loading the cart, unloading the cart to pay, re-loading the packed bags into the cart, putting them into the car only to take them out at home again, then unpacking them and putting them away. Who needs a gym membership? I don't know why this particular task looms like a root canal today but it does. Guess I better take the twins with me. They love to grocery shop. Really love to. Maybe I can pull up my bootstraps and let some of their joy rub off on me.

No comments: